If you think you or your child is unwell

IMG 3075

It is very important that you seek medical attention if your child has symptoms of COVID-19 or any other illness.

Last updated: 21st July 2021

Children can get COVID-19, but they are less likely to get it than adults, and are more likely to experience mild symptoms.

Some recent evidence has shown that more parents are accessing medical support for their child later since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic. If your child is unwell, they are likely to be unwell for reasons not related to COVID-19, and it is still very important that they are seen by a medical professional.

The main symptoms of COVID-19 are a:

  • high temperature
  • new, continuous cough
  • loss or change to smell and taste.

If you, your child or anyone that you live with has symptoms of COVID-19, you should get a test to see if they have COVID-19 as soon as possible. In all areas of the UK, you can ask for a test for a child who lives with you, whatever their age. You and anyone you live with should self-isolate (remain in your house) for 10 days after the date the symptoms start. During this time, you should not visit your GP, a pharmacy or hospital.

If you are worried about your child, they are not behaving as usual or you think they might be unwell, you should contact your GP or 111 in the first instance, and call 999 if it is an emergency.

Do not delay getting help if you have concerns. You know your baby or child best. Hospitals have measures in place to help protect people from COVID-19.

We have more information about how to know if your baby is becoming unwell. NHS England have also published a useful online leaflet that informs parents how to identify signs of illness in their baby.

Information about COVID-19, symptoms and latest guidance, including information about self-isolating and testing, testing and shielding, is different in the different parts of the UK. You should look for information for the part of the UK where you live.

More information where you live

If you live in England

Information about COVID-19, including information about symptoms, can be found on the NHS website.

NHS 111 has an online assessment service, where you can answer some questions to see if you need to call the NHS 111 phone service. The online assessment is suitable for all ages.

If you live in Scotland

Information about COVID-19 can be found at NHS Inform. It includes more information about when to call your GP or NHS 24.

In Wales

Information about COVID-19 can be found at NHS Direct Wales 111. This includes an online assessment which can be used for anyone living in Wales who is 6 months or older.

In Northern Ireland

Information about COVID-19, what to do if you or your child has symptoms, and other information can be found on this page.

We are updating this page as more information becomes available. For more support, get in touch at hello@bliss.org.uk