Financial information for those on a low income

If you're on a low income and have had a baby born premature or sick take a look at where you might be able to find support.

The benefits system is complicated and it can help a lot to have advice from an expert. This will make it easier for you to apply and ensure that you get the benefits that you are entitled to. 

If you think you are on a low income, you should make an appointment to talk to someone at your local Jobcentre Plus office. They can help you work out what benefits you can get, and show you how to apply. It’s important to apply straight away if you think you can get a benefit - delaying might mean you miss out on benefit payments.

Hospital staff, the Patient Advice and Liaison service (PALS) or Sure Start (a government programme for parents, children and local communities) might know about people who can help you claim benefits. 

This could be a social worker, the nearest Jobcentre Plus office, your local Council or the Citizens Advice Bureau. Try not to feel embarrassed about asking. Health professionals know that having a sick baby causes hardship and pointing the way towards these services is part of their professional role.

See other pages in this section to find the basic facts about benefits, whether you might be eligible to claim, and where you can find more information.

The information on this page is more than two years old