Helpline 0808 801 0322


What the law says

Starting school

Your child’s school place will be determined by an Admission Authority. An Admission Authority is the school or local authority responsible for allocating a school place to your child. You can check on your local council's website to see what schools they make admission decisions for.

Delaying means requesting for your child to start reception at compulsory school age, which is five years old, rather than the age of four. If this is something you are considering, you would need to contact the Admission Authority for approval. While there is no legal reason why your child can’t be admitted out of their normal year group, many schools and local authorities are reluctant to allow it, so it is likely you will have to make a strong case to convince them that it is in the best interest of your child.

Admission Authorities will deal with applications to delay school entry based on the information in the School Admissions Code. An updated code was released in December 2014, this code will shape admission procedures for children starting school from September 2016.

Use the link below to read detailed information about your child starting school from September 2016.

Starting school from September 2016


Help us by sharing this post
  • E-mail this story to a friend!
  • Tweet this
  • Facebook
  • StumbleUpon
  • Digg
  • Google
  • LinkedIn