Family Fund

If you've had a baby born premature or sick find out about the Family Fund and Budgeting Loan for financial support.

Although Bliss are unable to provide financial support, we can signpost you to several other resources.

What is the Family Fund?

The Family Fund is a discretionary fund from the government. You can make a claim if you have a seriously sick baby.

Who can claim

You have to be a UK resident and caring for a baby who is going to be in hospital for a number of weeks, for example, if your baby was born very early and is expected to stay in hospital until their due date or possibly beyond that.

You can find out more information, or download and complete a form, from Family Fund

Budgeting Loan

The Budgeting Loan is a discretionary benefit, which means that officials judge each case on its individual merits. You have to pay it back, but you won’t have to pay any interest on the loan.

Who can claim

To get a Budgeting Loan, you must be receiving Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance or Pension Credit.

You can claim the loan to pay for necessities, such as clothes and shoes, furniture and home repairs and security. Other purposes include moving house and travelling costs. You can use the loan to pay off more expensive debts that you have built up to pay for these necessities.

You may not be able to get a Budgeting Loan if you have money in savings or if you already owe money to the Family Fund.

Where you can find out more

The information on this page is more than two years old