Information about money, work and COVID-19

Here is the latest guidance for parents about money, work and COVID-19.

Last updated: 6th January 2021

I have a baby who was born premature or sick and my work or finances are being affected by COVID-19. Where can I get support?

If you have been affected financially by COVID-19, you may be able to access help. Citizens Advice have up to date information about this on their website.

Currently, there is no government support specifically for families of premature and sick babies in England, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

If you live in Scotland, you will be able to reclaim travel and food costs while your baby is in neonatal care through the Neonatal Expenses Fund.

My baby/child is required to shield, but I cannot work from home. What should I do?

If your baby/child is required to shield, current government guidance says you do not need to shield yourself. However, you should be very strict in following social distancing guidelines. You may want to talk to your employer and explain that someone in your household is clinically extremely vulnerable and is shielding, and ask how they can support you with social distancing in the workplace.

Your employer will already need to comply with guidelines to ensure you are able to work safely. You should discuss any concerns with your line manager to see what other arrangements can be agreed.

You can find more information about your work rights during the COVID-19 pandemic on the following websites:

We have more information about shielding on this page.

My employer is asking me to come to work, but I am concerned about my baby who was born premature or sick. What should I do?

Currently, in most areas of the UK, people are encouraged to work from home where this is possible. But in situations where work cannot be done at home, your employer should help protect workers and create a safe place to work. Examples of this could be shift working or staggering processes. If you have concerns about going to work, you should discuss these with your employer.

If you are worried that your employer is not taking all practical steps to encourage social distancing, then you can report this to your local authority or Health and Safety Executive who can take action. This may include where appropriate requiring your employer to take additional steps.

Other useful organisations

Acas have more information about staying safe at work, furlough and shielding during the COVID-19 pandemic. You can also call them on 0300 123 1100, Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

Citizens Advice
have more information about furlough, what to do if you are worried about working, and your rights at work.

Working Families have more information about your work rights during COVID-19.

The government websites for each region of the UK has more information about support for people financially affected by COVID-19. There is information for people who live in:

Mind has lots of information if you are feeling anxious or worried about COVID-19, and has guidance on how to take care of your mental wellbeing.

We have tried to answer some common questions here and we are updating this page as more information becomes available. For more support, get in touch at