Do you have the senior level fundraising and communications expertise to make a difference to the 90,000 babies born premature or sick every year in the UK?
Bliss is looking for an ambitious and inspirational Head of Fundraising & Communications to drive our income generation and communications as we implement our new 3 year strategy. Our ambition is to reach each and every one of the 90,000 babies born premature or sick each year: this role will be at the heart of leading us to a step change in voluntary income growth alongside the delivery of clear and persuasive communications across our channels in order to deliver this goal.
We are looking for an exceptional candidate who has a track record of income generation and growth across a number of different fundraising disciplines, as well as significant experience of developing integrated communications across a range of audiences. This is a fantastic opportunity to lead a passionate and committed team to deliver sustained income growth across a diverse portfolio as well as compelling communications to achieve cut-through in a competitive marketplace.
If you have the skills and ambition needed to make a difference to the lives of premature and sick babies, we want to hear from you.
Main purpose of the role:
- To lead and give strategic direction to the Fundraising and Communications Department, and to take ultimate responsibility for all fundraising and communications activities across the charity
- To contribute to the daily running and future direction of the charity as a member of the senior management team
- To lead and manage the Fundraising and Communications Department, driving quality and performance, and providing support and development for team members
- To build positive working relationships with the Board of Trustees, with particular responsibility – jointly with the Head of Finance and Operations – for the management of the work of the Finance and Fundraising Committee (a sub-committee of the Board)
- To establish and maintain effective working relationships both inside and outside the charity, and to represent Bliss externally, so that Bliss is always perceived as a professional, efficient and ethical organisation
- Any other duties as may be reasonably requested by the Chief Executive
- To lead the development and implementation of the fundraising strategy so that all aspects of the charity’s work are supported, and to drive innovation, diversification and sustainability within the fundraising portfolio
- To work collaboratively with the Senior Management Team to ensure that new funding initiatives are developed which support the work of the charity over the long term
- To plan and manage medium to long term income and expenditure budgets, and to work with the Head of Finance and Operations to support the development and implementation of effective management information systems
- To ensure that all fundraising activity complies with relevant legal requirements and Bliss policies, including adherence to Bliss’ financial procedures; and with lead responsibility for staying up to date with changes to fundraising regulation and identifying impact and necessary action for Bliss
- To champion the provision of excellent supporter care, ensuring retention is a key focus for all activity and long-term relationships are built and sustained
- To lead the development of large bids to trusts, foundations and statutory funders, working with colleagues across the organisation as needed to identify appropriate projects
- To lead the development and delivery of the communications strategy so that all aspects of the charity’s work reflect a clear and consistent brand and set of messages across the entire spectrum of communications disciplines (including: digital, media and public relations, brand, marketing, advertising, celebrity management, internal communications, and print materials)
- To ensure that opportunities across the organisation are maximised to promote Bliss’ work to new and existing audiences, encompassing all Bliss stakeholders
- To advise the Chief Executive and Board on key organisational aspects of communications – in particular as they relate to profile and reputation – including brand, messaging, and audiences
- To contribute to the direction and strategic management of the organisation as an active member of the Senior Management Team, and to lead cross-team programmes as required to support the long-term development of the organisation
If you are interested in applying, please download the job description here and equal opportunities form here.
How to apply
Please email or post your CV and equal opportunities form with a covering letter explaining why you are interested in this role, and what you could bring to it (with particular reference to the person specification), to Karen Roper, Human Resources Administration Officer:
||020 7378 1122
||Bliss, 2nd Floor, Chapter House, 18-20 Crucifix Lane, London, SE1 3JW
The closing date for applications is Tuesday, 31 May 2016 at 9am.
If your application is successful you will be invited to a formal interview. Interviews will be held the week beginning 6 June 2016. As a charity, we are not able to contact applicants who have not been invited for interview so, if you have not heard from us by 15 June 2016 you should assume that, on this occasion, your application has not been successful.