Title: Family Support Officer – Family Services
Location: Bliss’ head office, London SE1
Terms: Grade D
Reports to: Senior Officer - Family Services
Hours of work: 35 hours (full time) Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm; with 2 hours a week worked in the evening to provide helpline cover/support.
Fixed term contract for 12 months to cover maternity leave.
25 days annual leave.
Do you want to make a difference to the 80,000 babies born too soon, too small or too sick in the UK?
The Family Services Team offers a range of services including a family support helpline, online information resources, a co-branded parent messageboard on Netmums, peer support, regional peer-led services and a range of information leaflets.
We are looking for an exceptional candidate who can provide confidential information, advice and support to families and professionals who contact the Family Services Team through our helpline. The role will also include leading on the distribution of publication requests throughout the country.
You will have a track record of working on a confidential helpline with an ability to communicate with people from diverse backgrounds.
Alongside this you will have excellent interpersonal and telephone skills and a good level of written communication skills with the ability to write in a clear and concise manner. We are looking for somebody with good administrative skills.
Purpose of the Job: To provide and maintain effective an support service for parents, working with volunteers, staff of neonatal units and other relevant health professionals through Bliss’ national family support services. In addition, to provide administrative assistance to the Senior Officer – Family Services.
Background to the Family Services Team
The Family Services Team provides emotional and practical support, together with information and signposting, for parents and families of babies born premature or sick, during what can be a traumatic time in their lives. Through its nationally available services and those delivered through its regional and country offices, the Family Services staff and volunteer team help tens of thousands of families each year.
The team also works with hospital units and NHS partners, to ensure Bliss is meeting their needs and that all families have access to support. By listening to and supporting parents and families, we help them give the most effective care to their babies and enable them to make confident and informed decisions.
For further details please see the job description below.
- To provide confidential information, advice and support to families and professionals contacting the Family Services Team through the helpline and email enquiries. This also includes providing support on one evening a week for two hours to cover and/or to support helpline volunteers.
- To lead on the processing and distribution of publication requests received online, through telephone and email communications from parents and health professionals.
- To co-ordinate the bi-monthly orders for neonatal units and develop robust ways to improve the monitoring and reporting of ordered publications.
- To complete routine administrative tasks which include assisting with the application process of helpline volunteers and ensuring contact details are up-to-date.
- To use our database Alms.net to:
- Input, update and maintain information on all calls and emails to the helpline service
- Input and update the activity on helpline volunteer applications
- Run regular reports – using both Alms.net and our helpline provider Call Handling – on our Family Services, and present key information for the monthly monitoring statistics and quarterly key performance indicators.
- To work in partnership with the Family Services team to regularly review and update information on the Family Services section of the website.
- Working with the Senior Officer – Family Services, to communicate with and provide support to volunteers.
- To engage and contribute to the review and development of our suite of publications in partnership with the Communications team.
- To manage discrete projects to support the development of Bliss’ Family Services as directed by the Senior Officer – Family Services.
If you are interested in applying please send your CV and covering letter/supporting statement to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 12 June 2015
Equal opportunities form