Are you passionate about communications? Do you want to make a difference to the 90,000 babies born premature or sick every year in the UK?
Bliss is looking for a Communications Manager to drive forward our communications as we launch our new strategy in April 2016. Our ambition is to reach each and every one of the 90,000 babies born premature or sick each year, and high quality communications are at the heart of delivering this goal.
We are looking for an exceptional candidate who has a track record of using the full range of communications tools and channels to achieve impact. This is a fantastic opportunity to lead a passionate and committed team to integrate our communications across all aspects of our work, with a particular focus on driving our use of digital.
If you have the skills and ambition needed to make a difference to the lives of premature and sick babies, we want to hear from you.
Main purpose of the role
Bliss will be launching a new strategy in April 2016 and effective communication is essential to delivering all parts of Bliss’ strategic objectives. In particular, we have an ambition to become a ‘digital first’ organisation through the life of this strategy. We are looking to recruit a Communications Manager to help us realise our strategic aims, and to drive communications at Bliss forward.
About the team and department
As part of a wider Fundraising and Communications Department, the Communications Team works alongside internal and external stakeholders to develop and deliver Bliss’ communications across all channels, with a particular focus on developing and improving our digital communications. The team has a broad communications remit supporting the whole organisation and working across media relations, digital, video production, print publications and design.
This role reports to the Head of Fundraising and Communications, and has the following direct reports:
- Senior Communications Officer
- Senior Digital Communications Officer
- Media Relations Officer
- Design Officer
- To lead and motivate the Communications Team, providing strategic direction and management support to develop and deliver a multi-channel communications plan in line with Bliss’ strategy and priorities.
- To maximise all proactive and reactive opportunities to promote Bliss’ activities across all media including print, broadcast and online; and to ensure that we respond in a timely and professional manner to requests for information, expert opinion, and policy positions.
- To develop, manage, and ensure the consistent use of the Bliss brand, ensuring we deliver consistent key messages across all Bliss communication channels to improve awareness of our work and understanding of what we do.
- Working closely with the Senior Digital Communications Officer, to oversee the development of Bliss’ digital channels, ensuring Bliss makes best use of technology available to reach more people, more quickly.
- To work with teams across the organisation to ensure the timely and effective development and production of high quality materials and resources across print, film and digital outputs
- To support the development, training and coordination of Bliss spokespeople including staff, volunteers and trustees, and to ensure spokespeople are fully briefed ahead of representing Bliss.
- To lead and manage all aspects of the Communications Team’s work, with responsibility for planning and budgeting the work of the team; developing and reporting regularly on key performance indicators and other methods of evaluation as required; and delivering high quality performance management to all members of the team.
- To work with the Chief Executive and the Senior Management Team to develop and deliver effective internal communications.
- To work closely with the Head of Fundraising and Communications and the wider management team to contribute to Bliss’ overall strategic and operational planning and management, contributing fully to cross-organisational strands of work.
- To perform any other duties as may be reasonably requested.
If you are interested in applying please download the job description here and equal opportunities form here
How to apply
Please email or post your CV and equal opportunities form, with a covering letter explaining why you are interested in this role and what you could bring to it (with particular reference to the person specification), to Karen Roper, Human Resources Administration Officer:
Telephone: 020 7378 1122
Post: Bliss, 2nd Floor, Chapter House, 18-20 Crucifix Lane, London, SE1 3JW
The deadline for applications is Monday, 7 March 2016 at 9pm.
If your application is successful you will be invited to a formal interview. Interviews will be held on 17 and 18 March 2016. As a charity, we are not able to contact applicants who have not been invited for interview so, if you have not heard from us by 23 March 2016 you should assume that, on this occasion, your application has not been successful.